Sunday, May 9, 2010

Rhubarb Crunch

It seems to be what all the cooks I read are blogging about these days - but who can blame them? Rhubarb is just SO YUMMY! And I have my own recipe I crave every spring, which comes from the cookbook put out by the Mennonite church I attended as a child. However, don't follow that recipe, because it has typos that will cause your crunch to fail. Rather, bake it from here:



Rhubarb Crunch



Filling
5 c. sliced rhubarb

Crust
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. thin-rolled oats
1/2 c. melted butter

Sauce
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
2 T. + 1 t. cornstarch
1 t. vanilla
pinch salt

1. Wash, trim, and chop the rhubarb.
2. Preheat the oven to 350-375*.
3. Mix the crust ingredients. Press 3/4 of this mixture into the bottom and up the sides of an 8x8 baking dish. Dump the rhubarb into this crust and shake the dish to even it out in the crust.
4. In a small saucepan, whisk together the water, sugar and cornstarch. Set over high heat and bring to a boil, whisking until thickened. Add the salt and vanilla.
5. Pour the sauce over the rhubarb, and sprinkle with the reserved crust mixture.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until rhubarb is cooked.
7. Let cool for 2-3 hours to allow the sauce to cool and rethicken. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

4 comments:

Axon L. Parker said...

Oh Mel! Thank you! I have been searching for a recipe just like this and couldn't seem to find it anywhere, despite all the rhubarb obsession of late. I have made rhubarb ice cream, and rhubarb strawberry compote (which we ate OVER ice cream) but this is what I have been craving....now I just hope that the market will still have rhubarb next week!

IndianaJones said...

I'm picking up rhubarb to make this TODAY~!
thank you.
I grew up with my Grandma making Rhubarb pie for me and though I know I could never do that justice, this I think I could tackle and get my rhubarb fix!
yum.

Robby said...

Yum. I wish I were there--or you were here--so that I could eat Rhubarb Crunch with you. I think we two are the only ones in the family that eat rhubarb. Or has Brian converted?

Susan-M- said...

Yummy!